Terrestrial TV was phased out between 2007 and 2012. This paved the way for a new digital TV revolution, with services such as Freeview. This provider had a simple objective. To provide individuals with over 70 channels, instead of just five, for free. These services also made the family program dash a thing of the past, as a TV show could now be paused or easily recorded. This led to less family bickering when two shows were on at the same time!
This also led to well-known television channels, like the BBC and ITV bringing out their own digital platforms. This allowed users to stream and catch up on a multitude of shows. These media players were different as they could be used a multitude of devices, included mobiles, tablets and through services like Freeview.
Utilising these platforms allows your loved ones to never miss a favourite TV show ever again. There are also several other benefits too.
Advantages of Media Players
- Steam live TV – Media players allow you to stream live TV through your phone, tablet and desktop. Allowing you to stay up-to-date with live television when on the move.
- Watch shows you’ve missed – Easily catch up on programs you’ve missed on live television.
- Revisit old box sets – Not only can you catch up on recent shows you missed live, you can revisit several older much-loved series for free.
- Plan your week of watching – There is no longer the need to keep the TV guide next to the sofa, visit your chosen media player and discover an up to date TV schedule.
- Most are free – There is no cost of signing up or using the media players listed below.
Disadvantages of Media Players
They can require up-to-date technology. Some players struggle on older versions of software as they require the latest flash plugins. However, it’s easy to check whether your computer, phone or tablet will work on them by downloading the service.
To unlock all the media player benefits you will need also have to create logins; this is also the case when using through your Freeview box. Sometimes it can be slightly time-consuming to get all of this setup but it’s worth pursuing.
Available TV Show Media Players
Online Streaming Services
If you’re already enjoying the four well-known media players, why not try an additional streaming service. These are provided by companies such as Netflix, Now TV or Amazon Prime. They will allow you to unlock a whole host of additional shows.
However, unlike the media players above, there is usually a fee for their platforms. If you’d like to discover how to use one of the most popular providers read our handy ‘How to Use Netflix’ guide.
The Careline Alarm
Media players are a great way for yourself or loved ones to pass the time watching shows you/they love. Especially when living independently might be becoming more difficult.
If you’re looking for more peace of mind for yourself or your loved one living at home, then you should consider a Careline alarm. For more information about the service, you can call our friendly customer service team on 0800 101 3333 or contact them via email to email@example.com. Alternatively, you can fill out our simple Contact Form or order via our website.