A Fall Detector works in the same way as our standard red button alarms, allowing customers to press a button if they need any help. However, the Fall Detector comes with an added layer of protection and has the ability to automatically generate a call if a fall is detected.
Why is a Fall Detector Needed?
More than 8000 older people fall in the UK every day. Falls are the largest cause of emergency hospital admissions for older people. This can lead to a significant impact on long-term outcomes. For example, prematurely moving people from their own home to a long-term nursing or residential care.
Around a third of people over 65 will fall each year and the figure is even higher for those over 75. Older people are often not able to get up off the floor without assistance and can wait for hours before help arrives.
With our Fall Detector, we can ensure the assistance is called for straight away and prevent any serious damage.
What is a Fall Detector?
The Fall Detector is a small, lightweight device and can be worn around your loved ones neck or wrist. We recommend the Fall Detector in the following cases:
- Older people who fall at home very often.
- People with medical conditions such as epilepsy or diabetes.
- Individuals who are discharged from hospital and need additional support.
The sensitivity of the Fall Detector can also be adjusted depending on individual needs, providing confidence to anyone who is at risk of falling.
How Does it Work?
The Fall Detector will generate a call after the alarm user has a sudden loss of altitude and acceleration. A fall is characterised by four steps:
- An active person in an upright position.
- A quick and sudden loss of balance.
- A significant impact of the alarm user with the floor.
- A lying position on the floor
Can you wear the Fall Detector in the shower or bath?
The Fall Detector is water resistant and should be worn at all times, including in the shower and bath. When wearing in the bath, your loved one should avoid fully submerging in the water.
Can you cancel an accidental call?
Yes, both the wrist and neck Fall Detector will alert the alarm user before calling.
- Neck – If the pendant flashes green and plays ascending tones, press the small black cancel button.
- Wrist – When the alarm is raised, the Fall Detector will vibrate and light up. To cancel this call, the alarm user can cover the alarm completely with the palm of their hand. The vibrations will stop when the call has been cancelled.
If the alarm user is unable to cancel the call in time, allow the monitoring centre to answer the call. Then, just explain that everything is okay and there was an accidental activation. Our team are there to help, and are completely understanding that these things can happen from time to time.
Ordering a Fall Detector
If you would like to go ahead and order a personal alarm for your loved one, you can do this online. Alternatively, our customer service team are always available to answer any questions or queries on 0800 101 3333.