Security in the home is a top priority. UK police report that homes with no security measures in place are up to five times more at risk of breaking and entering. However, taking just a few small steps and precautions can significantly improve the security of your home.
Police and security companies offer lots of advice to make sure your home is secure against break-ins. Here are some of their top tips:
- Keep windows and doors locked – even if you’re just outside in the garden or popping out very briefly.
- Keep valuables out of sight and away from windows when not in use.
- Use a household safe for your most valuable goods and important documents.
- Don’t forget to lock your garage too.
- Add security lights to the outside of your property.
- Eliminate any hiding places by keeping fences and plants low – especially near doors and windows.
- Consider setting up a security system.
Keep Your Home Secure When Going Away On Holiday
When you are away on holiday your home is more vulnerable to theft. However, there are some simple steps you can take to keep it secure while you’re away.
- Mail piling up on your property is one of the biggest giveaways to show opportunistic burglars that no one is home. Using the Royal Mail Keepsafe service is a great way to keep your home secure. Royal Mail will hold on to your post while you’re on holiday and then safely deliver it once you’re back in your home.
- If you are on Social Media platforms such as Facebook, avoid making public posts that show when you are away on holiday. Potential burglars could use this information to their advantage and target your home during this time.
- It’s a great idea to ask your neighbours to keep an eye on your property while you’re away. If they are trusted neighbours, you could also ask them to open and close your curtains for you and park their car in your driveway to give the appearance that you are home.
Adding Security With A Key Safe
A Key Safe is a small lock box which can be fixed to the outside of your property. You can store a spare set of keys inside and securely lock the safe with a unique combination code of your choice.
Hiding a spare key in a predictable place such as under a doormat or flower pot can be a security risk. Key Safes are designed to improve the security of your home while still allowing you to leave a set of keys out for those who may need access to your property such as friends, family or carers.
How A Key Safe Works With Your Careline Alarm
A Key Safe also works hand-in-hand with your Careline Personal Alarm. A personal alarm service relies on your emergency contacts or the emergency services being able to access your home. Many customers choose to install a Key Safe to make this possible.
The 24/7 Emergency Response Team can hold a copy of your Key Safe details securely on their account for you. This means they would be able to pass the details on to emergency services so they can gain quick, easy access to your property and provide medical assistance promptly in an emergency. All the paramedics would need to do is open the Key Safe with the code, take your keys out and open the door. The minutes or even seconds saved by doing this could end up being life-saving!
Ordering a Key Safe
If you are considering a Key Safe, there are three popular options available through Careline which can be added to your personal alarm plan order. Don’t worry if you are already an existing customer, you can still order a Key Safe and add this on to your Careline account at any time. If you would like to know more, you can call one of our friendly advisers on 0800 101 3333 or email the customer service team at email@example.com.