Launched in the latter part of 2006, Prime Video quickly became one of the world’s largest streaming platforms. It allowed those with Prime membership to watch films and TV shows on demand. A recent study found that Netflix, Prime Video’s biggest rival, had the same amount of subscribers as all conventional television subscribers in the US combined: 73% of households. They went on to overtake traditional television watchers in 2019. Netflix has plateaued slightly over the past few years but newer services like Prime Video and Hulu have gained a larger market share.
How Much Does Prime Video Cost?
- £7.99 per month – This is for those who prefer to go month-to-month. It is relatively cheap compared to paying for traditional television. You are not tied into a contract, so you can cancel the plan anytime.
- £79 per year – It is about £15 cheaper to pay the upfront cost and you still have the benefit of being able to cancel anytime. Amazon also seems to offer refunds for unused time in some instances.
The great thing about having Prime Video is that it doesn’t just let you watch films and TV. It also gives you Amazon Prime membership. Prime offers free next-day delivery on eligible items from Amazon, as well as books for your Kindle. For lots of viewers, this is what will give Prime Video the edge on Netflix, as Amazon offers a variety of services under the same price plan.
How To Start Using Prime
You’ll need to have an account with Amazon and then sign in. On the welcome page, you will see a link to Prime, offering a 30-day free trial. The contract rolls on if you do not cancel it. This means it is important to take note of the day you signed up, so you know when you need to make a decision about keeping the service. Once you have signed up, the service is available straight away. You can use Prime Video on a variety of different devices, via the app or the website.
Overall, Netflix is more user-friendly than Prime, but many people find that Prime has a better catalogue of films and TV shows. Both companies also produce their own exclusive content. As they both offer a trial period, it is best to take advantage of each before deciding.
Use the search tool to find films and TV shows you would like to watch. You can also search by actor’s name or genre. The more you use the streaming service, the more personalised recommendations it can offer. This can be particularly useful for the elderly to help them navigate and use the service.
Lastly, you can have up to 6 personal accounts on one subscription. Considering the price, this feature is great. It means that people with different tastes living under the same roof can keep their recommendations separate. You can assist your elderly loved one to save shows for later or recommend things for them to watch by adding shows to their Watchlist.
Advantages of Prime Video
- Customisation – It essentially a personalised version of traditional television. You are able to watch whatever you want whenever you want. The more you watch, the better the algorithm is at offering recommendations.
- Multiple Devices – You can switch seamlessly between devices, so you can watch your shows anywhere. Prime allows you to use unlimited devices on the plan, so one plan can cover the entire family.
- Downloadable – When you want to watch your shows out and about but don’t want to eat up all your mobile data, you can download them and watch them later. This is particularly useful for long journeys when the signal is not reliable.
- Convenience – Most younger viewers prefer streaming platforms to traditional television because they offer greater flexibility.
- Watch Party – Amazon now offers a feature that allows you to watch and chat with friends and family at the same time from different devices. This is a great way to reconnect with each other during lockdown when you can’t be together.
What to Watch: Our Top Picks
- Planet Earth – Nature documentary in incredible high definition, narrated by Sir David Attenborough.
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – A comedy set in 1950s New York. This show has been extremely popular, especially with elderly viewers.
- Downton Abbey – A period drama set in early 20th Century England.
- Forged in Fire – Another creative competition show. Contestants battle to create weaponry that is then judged for a cash prize.
A Careline alarm offers your loved one protection and peace of mind all year round. In the event of a fall or medical emergency, your loved one can raise a call for help with just the touch of a button. For more information about the alarm, please call our customer service team on 0800 101 3333 or contact them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can fill out our simple Contact Form or place an order via our website.